Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Just call me Ringmaster...(part 1)

     May is always an especially busy time for my family.  Since Dean and I are both teachers (high school), there are additional events we attend (i.e. 2 proms, 2 graduations, etc.). In addition, we are both teachers of subjects that have state tests.  Therefore, we stay pretty stressed.  On top of that, Dean's work on the farm doubles, and hay season hits then too, so he needs to work longer hours to get hay "up" (cut, fluffed, racked, and bailed) as quickly as he can.  It stinks; not the hay part alone, the combination of everything.  This year has been a particular struggle since I have started my Premier business, AND...... SISSY'S GETTING MARRIED (WOOHOO)!!!! Just this morning, I equated organizing my family for the next two weeks to being the conductor of a symphony, but honestly, I think it's more like being the ringmaster of a three ring circus.  I can handle the ordinary struggles listed above, sort of, but to add chaos to chaos, the twins have begun to add their own craziness to our "down time",  and Princess isn't helping much either. 

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, in this ring.....

     Bubba, aka Tank, is wanting very badly to walk.  He's not there yet, but what he lacks in walking ability, he makes up for with his climbing skills.  HE CLIMBS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!  Therefore, I have dubbed him my high wire act.  He is fearless.  Anything he can get a leg up on, he can climb.  He may fall, but he can climb it.  This is a new problem for me.  Princess didn't climb.  Granted, every moment of my life was devoted to making sure she didn't get hurt, so maybe it was more me than her.  At this point in my life, it is impossible to watch every child every second, and trust me, he's fast.  Therefore, he has thus far conquered the Dora table, kitchen chairs, the fireplace ledge, the walker (he didn't make it in the the correct manner), and I'm honestly not sure what else.  He may also be an alligator wrestler, since he tends to beat up his sisters without even knowing it.  He's unusually strong for his age, which he proves by laying back and flinging his chunky little bull legs together when throwing a fit.  He could take down any ol' gator he wanted.  In this circus, he'll play both roles.




AND IN THIS RING.....

     Tinker Belle is my contortionist.  Just you try to get her in her car seat when she doesn't want to be.  She somehow bows herself out so that you loosen the straps to get her in, then she shrinks herself down and can pull her arms through, so you have to tighten it right back up.  (I always win this fight, but she sure is clever.)  She can squeeze into tight, tiny places.  I know because she usually can't get back out.  How she gets between the couch and the wall is beyond me.  You'd think that wherever her shoulders could fit, she could get back out of, but no.  She also will weave herself through a variety of larger play toys, and then get stuck.  She may also be the escape artist.  I have yet to find a high chair that can contain her.  She is so tiny, that we have the straps as tight as they can go, but if she can get one little foot up and under her, she's as good as out.  She hasn't fallen out yet, but before I could get Princess's dinner plate fixed, she was standing up, looking proud.  I feel like these traits will serve her well in our little family circus.



AND FINALLY....

     Princess will more than likely become the owner of the entire circus since she can manipulate better than most adults, but for right now, she's my lion tamer.  She spends a great deal of time trying to train the twins to do what she wants of them.  If she really wants them to be in another room, she'll carry drag them there.  We scold her constantly, but I think she does it without thinking.  She will try to take their hands or grab them from behind around their chest (just under the armpit) and let them walk, but Tinker Belle isn't all that concerned with walking and usually just lifts up her legs and smiles as Princess carries her through the house.  She's naturally bossy, so I think these are the best jobs for her.


     Dean and I are usually the dual Ringmasters, or maybe we're the clowns.  I'm not really sure.  Together, we are all a freak show.  Dean and I try our best to keep everyone organized, happy, and healthy.  That alone is a big job.  Throw in life, and it's almost impossible.  I've actually been gone for a while due to a sickness that swept through the children in our house robbing us all of sleep.  Although I wasn't sure at times, we made it.  The circus survived one show and has moved on to another.  Let's see what the next crowd thinks.

~Stay tuned for more about farming, jewelry, and Sissy's wedding.  I promise it'll be posted soon.~

Here's my prayer for all you other ringmasters out there:

     "God, today what I want is to not only survive, but to thrive.  I want joy to be the tone of my family.  I want to be a good mother and wife.  I want to feel fulfilled by You.  I want to feel peace even when the storm is raging.  Help me to be organized.  Help my children to be happy.  Help us to love You better. Help me to ENJOY this life You've blessed me with.  Amen."


4 comments:

  1. I can see Tinker volunteering to have Tank carry her across the high wire because she is so fearless sometimes!

    --Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny, Rea. I love the picture with all three of them. Are they headed off to church in those cute little outfits --- pure angels with an ulterior motive of course.
    :) Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Sissy. She is the more naturally cautious of the two, but she will follow Tank anywhere!

    Joy, that picture was actually taken at our church. I loved that Tank was smiling ear to ear in the background. He wasn't even supposed to be in the picture. That is just my happy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile. I know that your house is more crazy than ours due to the twins, but it is nice knowing that there are others who are simply trying to survive. There are days where I (with my hair in a mess and two wild eyes going on) will look at Nathaniel and say, "We survived another one!" :)

    ReplyDelete