Monday, May 7, 2012

Peace--and Green eggs and Ham

I'll admit upfront that I shamelessly stole this idea from my good friend SFields.  She is such a talented writer (you can read her blog by clicking on it on the side of this page--ethanfgodschild), and recently she posted about unfairness to the rhyme of "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie".  It was beautiful and moving.  I was sitting at the table today worrying over the fact that Princess (4) doesn't eat anything while sharing my supper with the twins (10 months) who had already eaten their own dinner but decided they wanted mine too.  They've been into EVERYTHING lately, doing things like pulling everything out of a cabinet, climbing on our Dora table, you name it.  Anyway, I was wallowing in my reoccurring self pity of "wanting peace".  At the same time, I was lamenting the fact that my four year old turned her nose up at the healthy dinner I worked hard (amidst screaming babies) to fix her.  Then, it hit me.  I all too often turn my nose up at the peace God offers, even though I know it is good for me.  I was reminded of the Dr. Seuss rhyme "Green Eggs and Ham".  So, while I'm definitely no poet and I lost the flow here and there, here's the Rea version of "Green Eggs and Ham" rightly named "Peace" since that is what God graciously offers me even when I constantly refuse it.  Now is a good time to mention that my nickname is pronounced "Ray" though spelled differently, since it would mess up the rhyme if you pronounce it otherwise.


"PEACE"
 
Good morning my dear little Rea,
I’ve brought some peace for you today

Oh no, dear Lord, I’ll be just fine.
I’m much too busy racing time.
For I’m late you see, to teach my pupils,
But maybe later after I pay the bills.

...

Good lunchtime to my precious Rea,
I still have peace for you today.

Oh no, dear Lord, I’m in a rush.
It’s so loud here; I need some hush.
So instead of taking peace from You,
I think I’ll whine to a friend or two.

...
 
Good afternoon my sweet girl Rea,
I’ve kept some peace for you today.

So sorry Lord, but I’m feeling hazy,
And it’s time for me to go see my babies.
They’ve missed me, You see, while I’ve be gone,
But maybe I’ll try some tonight at home.

...
 
Good dinner to my little girl Rea,
There’s still some time for peace today.

Oh, I could not try it now dear God!
There are dishes waiting to be washed,
And then there’s laundry in a pile,
And those bills I mentioned have waited erewhile,
But before that, three baths and then my own,
And my favorite TV show comes on,
And then of course to you I’ll pray
(I’m already thinking of Holy things to say.)
You see my Savior, there’s just too much
I’d love some peace, but my time’s a crunch,
And while I’m at it, I’ll need to have read,
And cleaned the toilet before going to bed,
And then I’ll lay down my weary head,
And I’ll call to you and ask for…..peace.

...
 
Good night to you my princess Rea,
I hope you’ll take this peace I’ve saved.

OKAY, OKAY, I’ll try it out,
But if it doesn’t work, I’m sure to pout.

What do you think my sweet child Rea,
Do you like the peace I gave?

Oh, yes Dear Lord! I love it dear!
I did not know you were so near
Following me from place to place
Offering peace in my crazy race.
It seems strange now, those things stressing me
Are nothing at all, yet they made me scream.
I never want to lose this peace,
For my hurting soul has begun to ease.
Thank You, God, forgive me I pray
For avoiding the peace You offer each day.

Now don’t you see my silly Rea,
I’ll give you peace brand new each day.
Just trust me with those little things,
And see what strength my true peace brings.
Hold tight to it and I’ll see you through
And that peace I give will exude from you
And you’ll show it to the world around
And they’ll ask about this peace you’ve found.
Then, my dear, you lead them to me,
And I’ll give them peace that sets them free.
And one day in heaven you’ll all be found
With peace untold all around
Then, my dear, My plan you’ll see,
Just take this peace that sets you free.


3 comments:

  1. I have to often remind myself that the purpose of my blog isn't for man's praise, but for God's glory. Therefore, if it inspired you to write something that might inspire someone to seek Him, then we have both pleased Him with the talents that He has given us. I'm reminded of this verse - Ephesians 2:10 - "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." I, too, struggle with finding peace, and pray that He continue to teach us His ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Peace--and Green Eggs and Ham. Wonderful!! This is so true too. Just the other night I was struggling to not scream at everyone living here. The kitchen was a mess and I was trying to fix dinner and plates, and everyone was asking for different things. I thought to my self "Dear Lord, I am only one person, can these people be serious?" I fixed the kids their plates and went into my bathroom to pray because I was seriously getting ready to lose it. While praying, I realized that I needed to be thankful that I have people to fix food for, food to even fix and a house that can get dirty....I think sometimes we are so "busy" that we forget to be thankful for what we have. I always give thanks when I am praying, but I think we forget our blessings when we are stressed(at least I know I do)....thank you so much for your blog. You always know what to write. Love you :)
    C. Burgan

    ReplyDelete