Friday, November 4, 2011

Then comes Rea with a Baby carriage...

On March 1st, after 20 hours of a labor I will spare you the details of, we welcomed (via c-section, which was NOT part of my birthing plan) our Princess.  She weighed in at 9 pounds even and was 22 inches long.  I wish I could say our entrance into parenthood was what story tales were made of, but in reality, we learned how hard this thing called parenting could be.  We both swore (especially after experiencing colic) that we would only ever have one child.  My husband had resigned himself to the fact that the family farm would be passed down to our little girl and whatever unworthy slug she may marry.  She was difficult, she cried constantly, was manipulative (from the beginning), and perfect in any way you can imagine.  She’s more beautiful than I ever thought about being, and more intelligent than I could have hoped for.  I truly believe that God sent me Princess to teach me what Agape love means.  I love her so unconditionally that it hurts.  I love her so deeply that I feel held captive by my love for her.  I love her so purely that I put her in God’s hands for protection constantly.  I never thought I could want anything more from love.  I don’t know when I started changing my mind about having another child, but I’m sure the idea snuck up on me and squeezed through the cracks of my mind.  While Princess is perfect in so many ways, she was not an easy baby.  AND if I’m being perfectly honest, it took me a year and a half to really feel good about my physique again after having her.  Yet, for some reason, I begin to think about her growing up with no siblings, which led me to think of how much I love my own one and only brother, which led me to think of her all alone in the world and grief stricken after the death of myself and my husband.  (I never said my thoughts were rational.)  SO, once again, I began to work on my husband about having JUST ONE MORE baby.  The sibling argument could only have so much weight since he is himself an only child and doesn’t feel that he missed much.  His parents were on my side with that argument though, and shared their own sadness about only having been blessed with one child.  I also MIGHT have insinuated that it would definitely be a boy the second time, and that I already knew he’d love farming.  (Don’t judge me; I was desperate to make sure she had a family connection in this world once I was dead!)  If my life before Princess was busy, then my life after having her was extremely busy and couldn’t get any more so, right?......

No comments:

Post a Comment